Monday, July 19, 2010

In memory of Seamus Costello

TRIBUTE TO A COMRADE
by JohnGilligan



The wind it blew cold that October, as I watched the sad cortege depart
And I knew the bright sunshine of springtime, n'er would ease the dead chill in my heart
As I slowly came down from that chapel and we went oh, so slow, to his grave
'twas for us this great lover of mankind, for us always his lifetime he gave

His brilliance shone forth like the morning, as he rose up to champion the weak
And our jailers in the island dungeon cowered when Costello dared all for to speak
For his was the voice of the worker and justice for all was his creed
and he told us "arise in your greatness, and conquer this world full of greed."

Not bigots nor hate can divide us, as we fight for the flag of the free
Not murder nor armies defeat us when we strike out for our liberty
And his voice it came back form the coffin, as I shouldered it close to my cheek
"Go on - ever onwards my comrades - 'til we build up that nation we seek."

"And no power in this world can stop you - the assassin has failed can't you see
And remember as you bury my body, my spirit as always is free.
And I stride along there beside you, as you march on to your destiny
And remember I was willing to trade it, my life for your liberty."

It was cold when we buried that hero, and many's the heart cried with pain
For we knew as we buried our comrade, we'd not see his likes e'er again
But his words seemed to ring in the morning, as we slowly departed his grave
"Remember you were born to be free then, not quisling, not lackey,not slave

And my work in this life was an honour, so take up my struggle with pride
Doing that this cold day is beaten, and I, Seamus Costello, have not died."

No comments:

Post a Comment